In Memory

Walter Peters

MINOT, N.D. — Walter “Pete” Peters, 59, of Minot died Friday (Jan. 1, 2010) after a three-year battle with lung cancer.  Walter was the son of Arthur and Anna (Dyck) Peters of rural Walton. He graduated from Newton High School. 

Walter’s sister is Kathleen Kajinami (Shingo).  He was married to Kara Lynn (Flory) of Sawyer, N.D., for 33 years.  They have three daughters, Melissa Karimian (Shawn), Stephanie Phillips (Jandy) and Jennifer Peters. 

Walter was a beekeeper and, along with Kara Lynn and the girls, migrated between North Dakota and Texas, depending on the season. He also hauled bees to the west coast for spring pollination.  Thomas Funeral Home in Minot is in charge of funeral arrangements. 

Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society.

From the Newton Kansan Web Site and The Kansan on January 5th, 2010 
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

April 27, 1950-Jan. 1, 2010 - Minot, ND Newspaper

POSTED: January 6, 2010


Walter E."Pete"Peters, 59, Minot, and formerly of Walton, Kan., died on Friday, Jan. 1, 2010, in Rochester, Minn., at St. Mary's Hospital after a three-year battle with lung cancer. During this time he was cared for by his wife, Kara Lynn, and youngest daughter, Jennifer.

Walter was born April 27, 1950, in Goessel, Kan., to Arthur and Anna (Dyck) Peters. He graduated from Newton High School in Kansas. Walter was a decorated veteran of the Vietnam War having received both the Bronze Star and Purple Heart.

He was a wonderful husband to Kara Lynn (Flory) for 33 years and a great father to three daughters: Melissa, Stephanie, and Jennifer; and three dogs: Abigail, ChiChi and Maggie. In his spare time he enjoyed taking his family camping, fishing, and to the races.

Walter was self-employed as a beekeeper, something he loved to do. He started when he was just a boy in Kansas. As a young adult, he established his own business in Minot. Through his job he employed many people who became more like family than employees. They all shared his love for his bees, hard work, and the outdoors. He and his family traveled with his bees to Livingston, Texas, and Bakersfield, Calif.

Walter was a member of a local support group where he made many friends. He would meet with those friends at a local truck stop for coffee and talk for hours. This group helped Walter form a relationship with God. He had a love for God that gave him peace in his passing.

He was preceded in death by his father and mother, Arthur and Anna Peters, who lived in Newton, Kan.; and his uncle, Herman Peters, who lived in Walton, Kan.

He is survived by: his loving wife, Kara Lynn (Flory) Peters of Minot; daughters, Melissa (Shahen) Karimian and Stephanie (Jandy) Phillips, both of Livingston, Texas, Jennifer Peters (fiancé, Tom Malmend) of Minot; sister, Kathleen (Shingo) Kajinami of McPherson, Kan.; nephew, Clinton Kajinami of Kansas City, Kan.; aunt, Christine Peters of Walton, Kan.; cousins, Dave Kasitz and John (Ruth) Peters of Walton, Kan.; along with many more relatives in the Walton-Newton, Kan., area. He also had many relatives throughout Canada.

The family would like to extend a special thanks to Sarah and Phil Martinson for helping care for their dogs and personal needs while "Pete" and his family spent the past two months in Rochester, Minn.

Funeral service: Friday, Jan. 8, 2010, at 2 p.m. in the Southside Church of the Nazarene, Minot.

Interment: Rosehill Memorial Park, Minot.

Visitation: Thursday, Jan. 7, from 2 to 7 p.m. in Thomas Family Funeral Home, Minot.

Memorials: Memorials are preferred to Trinity Hospice or to the Southside Church of the Nazarene, both Minot.

Those wanting to sign the online memorial register or share memories and condolences are invited to use the expressions of sympathy section at (

go to bottom 
  Post Comment

01/06/10 09:55 AM #1    

Leroy Buller

Walter and I went to the same church, First Mennonite. I remember him through grade school although he went to grade school in Walton.

Walter was a farm kid that had really no interest in the "going-ons" at NHS. I am not sure, but I think he was active in FFA and 4-H. I think that in 4-H he started his Honey Bee business as a project and it grew into a business.

I remember talking to him several years after high school and he said he was trucking his bees between North Dakota and Texas depending on the season of the year. I asked him how many bees he had and he said, "a semi-truck load."

Walter was not interested in the things we were when we were in High School. He was a farmer and was a down to earth kind of guy.

01/06/10 10:15 AM #2    

Bill Boyd

I remember Walter. I never associated with him, nor he with me. It's really a shame, too, since I could have gained so much from his perspective. Quite obviously, he did what he loved and did it well, and it kept him for his entire adult life. God Bless Mr. Peters.

01/06/10 11:37 PM #3    

Maureen Koehn (Fast)

I attended Sunday school with Walter throughout my years of schooling. He was always quiet, smiling, and had a kind presence. I knew he was a beekeeper and I can see where he had the temperament to deal with them. I am really sad to think he had lung cancer for three years. It was difficult,I am sure. You will be missed and remembered for your considerate ways. May God bless you, and watch over your family.

M. Koehn Fast

01/07/10 10:53 AM #4    

James Meetz

Jim Meetz
Walter and I went to grade school together in Walton. When they shut WHS down after our 8th grade year our class went several ways. Some to Hesston , some to Peabody and the rest to Newton. Walter was always a little quirky in a very kind sort of way. I lost touch with him after high school. May he rest in peace.

01/24/10 01:37 PM #5    

Paula Graber (Morris)

I remember the "cute little smile", "Pete" had in high school. Looking at his picture from the Kansan, he still had his "cute little smile" as an adult.

09/04/10 03:20 AM #6    

Mikall Ryan

I spent 7 years on my grandfathers farm about 4 miles east of Hesston, so I guess I could relate to Walter.  In our senior year he asked if I wanted to go on a trip 300 miles into Canada on his honda 300 motorcycle.  He said he needed someone like me to go along with him, to keep him out of trouble.  We left right after gradulation and checked on his bee hives on the way up, stopping and staying with relatives and friends and in motels.  We came back through Montana and met an old sheep herder and his wagon he lived in.  While going through the mountains we almost slid on sand on a turn going down hill.  Then we were ridding for 50 miles in pouring rain and we stopped in a resturant to get out of the rain.  They had to mop up after us.  We got back on the road and headed up in the mountains and the rain, which had not stopped, turned to sleet, and then to snow.  We were barely moving and we finally were coming up on a hotel and I said to myself that if he didn't stop there that I was going to jump off the back.  But he was thinking the same thing.  We didn't care what it cost we were there to unthaw for the night.  We both had great memories from that trip and I only spent $100.00 and we were gone for two weeks.  I plan on seeing Walter in the next life and getting reaquainted with him.  Glad to hear he had such a good life for many years while down here. 

go to top 
  Post Comment